Visitors coming from European Union (EU)member-states and wish to receive the necessary healthcare should have the European HealthCard or another legal Community document, issued by their competent insurance authority. On the basis of it part or the whole of their care costs is covered. Those whose country is not a member of the European Union, in order to receive the necessary healthcare should consult their insurance authority before they travel.
Emergency telephone numbers
- National Emergency Center: 166
- Emergency Hospitals, Pharmacies, Doctors: 14944
- Police: 100
- Fire Brigade: 199
- Emergency Intervention of the Port Authority: 108
- Εuropean Emergency Number: 112
Passports & Visas
Find out on time whether the issue of a visa and a passport is required for your country of origin. For more information visit the website of the Hellenic Tourism Organization: http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/before_you_travel/passports-visas
National and local holidays
There are two types of holidays: Those occurring on the same day every year and the movable feasts, which occur on different dates every year.
- New Year’s Day: January 1st
- Epiphany: January 6th
- Ash Monday: 41 days before Easter
- Independence Day and Annunciation: March 25th
- Easter: Good Friday to Easter Monday
Resurrection: Easter Day
- Workers’ Day (May Day): May 1st
- Whitsun: Is celebrated 50 days after Easter.
- The Assumption: the 15th of August
- October 28th
- Christmas: December 25th -26th